-To take the pick-guard off, I used a butter knife. It really doesn't matter what you use as long as it's strong and you can slide it under without bending the guard too much.
- I used a pretty rough sand-paper to get the gloss off. During my trip to the store, I learned of some expensive goop that supposedly takes off gloss. But I didn't bother with it! WHY? Because it was expensive and I'll need sand-paper down the line anyways.
-Not sure how important it is, but I decided to sand in one direction. :)
-Not sure how important it is, but I decided to sand in one direction. :)
-If you're into artistic messes, like me, then this is a step that you should take extra care in. Here I used masking tape and news-print to tape up all of the places on the guitar I didn't want to be "prettied".
-If you need some help with getting the motivation to complete this step, think of it like you're wrapping a present!
-I used a matte-black spray paint, and sanded between each coat.
-Spray... wait... sand... as many times as you have the patience for. I went for three rounds.
-I used a matte-black paint because iv'e noticed gloss spray paint can get annoying and sticky. I also wanted to be able to draw on my design with colour pencil when it dried.
Step Four: Line-Design
-After it's nice and dry.. it's ready for some design. I used white colour pencil and then went over the design with white acrylic paint.
-I used spray paint, acrylic paint, colour pencils, and even a bit of nail polish on this step. Experimentation with different mediums is fun. HEY-- it's just paint. what's the worse that could happen? You mess up-- and you go over it with MORE paint. Big deal! Have fun, be creative and make it pretty. :)
-Spray the design with a clear enamel finish, use a very fine-grain sand paper in-between coats. I chose to apply 3 coats. (Allow enamel to dry between coats!)
-Glue back on the pick guard with something sticky. I used really annoying super-glue that got all over my skin and REALLY hurt to pick off later. ;) (So I guess what I'm trying to say is be careful?.. yeah.)
-Rip off the tape and stuff and GAWK. Make sure you take pictures :)






